Scott A. Holava
25 years of experience in the IT industry, gaining valuable transferable skills in relationship building, strategic planning, and project management. Strong track record of quickly learning and adapting to new and complex situations. Eager to leverage a diverse range of talents in a new and engaging professional setting. Committed to lifelong learning and personal development.
Builder / Creator
Full Software Lifecycle ▪ Agile Development Practice ▪ Enterprise Development ▪ Dev Ops
Virginia Beach, VA
May 2000 – Present
Responsible for daily IT operations for a small business while simultaneously conducting small marketing campaigns, as well as designing and deploying systems in a LAMP/cPanel environment.
- Design and develop LAMP projects and client-based websites.
- Administer production hosting servers to ensure maximum uptime, troubleshoot technical issues, and work with network administrators to ensure data integrity and security.
- System Administration tasks, including installing and upgrading software packages, configuring company name servers and DNS, configuring and maintaining Apache, and preventing and addressing security issues.
- Design and Develop custom themes in PHP/twig for Joomla, WordPress, and Craft CMS.
- Maintain technical documentation and generate business presentations and proposals.
- Conduct browser testing and create technology roadmaps.
- Provide assistance for maintenance of web technologies and latest practices.
- Participate in quality assessments and execute remote development.
- Developed and deployed a custom Order Management Application.
CITY OF VIRGINIA BEACH
Virginia Beach, VA
May 2008 – Present
Maintain the City of Virginia Beach branded intranet and public-facing websites including Beachnet, VBGov.com, VirginiaAquarium.com, VBGrowSmart.com, and YesVirginiaBeach.com.
- Help in configuring LAMP stack in the AWS Cloud on Ubuntu 12 Linux Servers.
- Design and develop custom themes in Twig for Craft CMS.
- Assist and support buy-in for implementing modified SCRUM/Agile process for project management and delivery.
- Configure and manage VirtualBox servers for development and local application support.
- Maintain code for all public-facing websites.
- Design and develop custom C# SharePoint Web Parts using web handlers.
- Design and develop custom SharePoint 2007/2010/2013 applications using Microsoft Visual Studio and SharePoint Designer.
- Work with the production team and project owners to bug-test new designs on all platforms.
- Redesigned the City’s intranet (Beachnet) to utilize Microsoft SharePoint and Exchange Server.
- Upgraded SharePoint 2007 & 2010 intranet and public-facing sites to SharePoint 2013.
April 2007 – May 2008
- Designed and developed Java/JSP IBM WebSphere-based portals and portlets.
- Designed themes for Java/JSP-based Oracle JD Edwards applications.
- Designed and developed ColdFusion/SQL-based intranet.
- Developed and implemented robust architecture systems for client sites.
- Built new websites and web applications based on business needs.
- Maintained existing websites; implemented new features and functionality.
- Utilized API for mobile offerings.
- Supported websites and web services with core application features.
- Suggested improvements for mobile apps and plug-ins.
- Formulated technical specifications by translation of product needs.
- Participated in code reviews as per quality principles.
- Provided technical suggestions to upper management.
- Utilized enterprise design frameworks and patterns for web development.
REYNOLDS WEB SOLUTIONS
SENIOR WEB DEVELOPER
October 2001 – April 2007
- Maintained over 200 hundred themes/skins for a large .NET CMS supporting over 6000 automotive industry websites.
- Worked with XSLT templates and stylesheets.
- Utilized a standardized UI framework for the development of new themes/skins with an emphasis on repeatability and maintainability, as well as cross-browser compliance.
- Assisted in the requirements definition, development, and training in proper CSS/XHTML to team members.
- Implemented and maintained web standards, file optimization, and quality control practices.
- Setup Subversion and Coding methodologies.
- Managed multiple projects simultaneously, including large dealerships and high-visibility corporate accounts.
- Maintained accurate documentation in a very fast-paced, high-volume web production environment.
- Communicated effectively with technical and non-technical dealership owners, general managers, IT directors, Internet managers, vendors, and sales/support teams.
- Performed quality assurance testing of all website development prior to launch to ensure proper functionality and consistency.
- Worked with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to ensure website brand compliance.
- Created Images, Logos, and Icons that are used across the web pages using Adobe Flash and Adobe Photoshop.
- Designed and developed advertising campaigns that enabled OEMs to promote new vehicles on all compliant websites.
- Assisted in the planning and implementation of an organic SEO/SEM program. This program has helped increase production by 50% while maintaining 100% accuracy in our output.
- Performed all initial consumer search behavior analyses and maintained the keyword phrase database used to develop optimized content for up to 200 websites per month.
October 1993 – September 2001
- Gathered user requirements to produce project specifications and consulted with other project leaders on advertising and Web-related issues.
- Maintained ongoing upgrades to the website, promotional ad banners, and seasonal content specials. Produced graphic designs, and copy layouts for all print and online content.
- Developed and maintained databases to track invoices, insertion orders, and purchase orders.
- Collaborated with business leaders in other departments to develop training materials in expanding markets.
- Built web applications to integrate social media and job searching.
- Leveraged Adobe PDF emerging technology to save on advertising production and shipping expenses.
U.S. OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (U.S.O.C.)
PUBLIC RELATIONS INTERN
Colorado Springs, CO
January – June 1993
- Oversee public relations activities and communications including press releases, company literature, editorial calendars, articles, announcements, and media kits.
- Arranged interviews, speaking engagements, and other media opportunities.
- Established and nurtured relationships with media reps across all major news outlets.
This AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner certification demonstrates that I have gained basic knowledge of the AWS platform, including available services and their common use cases, AWS Cloud architectural principles (at the conceptual level), account security, and compliance. I have a solid understanding of AWS Cloud economics including costs, billing, and analysis, and the value proposition of the AWS Cloud.
TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT AND ARCHITECTURE
Senior-level HTML/CSS ability with emphasis on progressive web applications, cross-browser compatibility, Web standards, and usability.
PROGRAM AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Strong organizational, communication, and project management skills.
VIRGINIA WESLEYAN COLLEGE
B.A., Business Management, May 1992
Virginia Beach / Norfolk, VA
Concentration in marketing.
STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK COLLEGE AT CORTLAND
1986 – 1988
Completed 36 credits, including 16 credits in Education.
- Languages: C# and PHP
- Cloud: AWS and Azure
- Databases: Amazon RDS, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server
- Windows Server/IIS
- Virtual PC
- Vagrant for Virtual Box and AWS
CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
- Google Marketing Platform
- Google Analytics
- Data Studio
- Tag Manager
- Google Search Console
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Microsoft Visual Studio Code
- Adobe Creative Suite